Giving it a Go

Giving it a Go

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

I designed a Batwing Saddle Pad and Sewed it together

For the life of me, I could not find a saddle pad that was unique and different so I sat down with a close contact and an all purpose saddle pad and I got to work tracing what I thought might look cool.

I ended up with this Batwing pad.  Don't get me wrong, I did find a few like it in Europe and in Canada but they were so sew expensive that I thought better to do it myself.

I basted the three layers together with basting spray, "Cheater spray" and began to sew down  the middle under the seat together.  When I had my middle line sewn together with the fleece bottom and the batting middle.  It looked like this.  I was excited and well on my way.
My first ever Baroque Batwing Saddle  Pad.  Designed and completed.  On to the next!

The top with the batting middle hanging out.


The underside with two of the swoops sewn in to hold it togeher.
That is a heavy maroon fleece.  I free handed the lines with a marker to follow the shape of the pillow.



I began working on finishing the mid swoop like or wing lines and set to work for create a binding that would wrap
all the way around the blanket in order to finish it off.  Once I had the binding on the wrap I used nylon webbing for the holders and also for the saddle placement holders on the front.  I just sewed velcro to the front ones and I was finished.
Here is my end result.

The right side and I forgot that I also added nylon webbing to the
center line for sturdiness.

The left side with the holders in black and in place.

 The batwing view. Top

 The underside...that goes to towards the horse.  You can really see the wing lines on
the underside.
\The right side of the underside of the blanket.  Just finished it this morning.
I am off to make another.  What's it worth?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment